- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
Special Covers commemorating Legacy of Le Corbusier – 27th August 2015.
Charles-Édouard Jeanneret-Gris, who was better known as Le Corbusier (b. October 6, 1887 – d. August 27, 1965), was a Swiss-French architect, designer, painter, urban planner, writer, and one of the pioneers of what is now called modern architecture. He was born in Switzerland and became a French citizen in 1930. His career spanned five decades, with his buildings constructed throughout Europe, India, and the Americas. Dedicated to providing better living conditions for the residents of crowded cities, Le Corbusier was influential in urban planning, and was a founding member of the Congrès international d'architecture moderne (CIAM).
In the 1950s, a unique opportunity to translate the Radiant City on a grand scale presented itself in the construction of the Union Territory Chandigarh, the new capital for the Indian states of Punjab and Haryana and India's first planned city. Le Corbusier designed many administration buildings, including a courthouse, parliament building, and a university. He also designed the general layout of the city, dividing it into sectors.
To mark the 50th death anniversary of legendary architect Le Corbusier and to commemorate legacy of Le Corbusier, who planned Chandigarh, Punjab Postal Circle in association with Chandigarh Administration released two special covers on 27th August 2015 at Chandigarh (Special Cover approval nos. PB/02/2015 and PB/03/2015). Special covers were released by Ms. Achla Bhatnagar, Chief Postmaster General, Punjab Postal Circle and the Adviser to the Administrator, UT, Chandigarh, Mr. Vijay Dev in presence of UT Home Secretary, Mr. Anurag Agarwal and other officers at the function held at Govt. Museum and Art Gallery Sector-10, Chandigarh.
These two special covers are available at Chandigarh GPO at Rs. 10 each. Postage Extra.
Photo and Covers Courtesy: Rakesh Walia, Chandigarh
More Special Covers released during Godavari Puskaralu.
Total 12 special covers have been released on the occasion of Godavari Puskaralu from different points along Godavari.
Special Cover on Kaleshwara Muktheshwara Swamy Temple, Kaleshwaram – 16th July 2015.
A special cover on Kaleshwara Muktheshwara Swamy Temple, Kaleshwaram was released on 16th July 2015 at Mahadevapur (Special Cover approval no. AP/18/2015).
Kaleshwaram is a village in Mahadevapur Mandal in Karimnagar district of Telangana State. It is on the border of Telangana and Maharashtra at the juncture of the Rivers Godavari and its Pranahiti tributary. The town is popularly known for its ancient and famous Kaleshwara Mukteshwara Swamy Temple. This is a revered temple is dedicated to the worship of the powerful Lord Shiva. The most iconic aspect in this ancient temple is the presence of two Lingams holding on to a single pedestal or the Panavattam. The temple gets its name Kaleshwara Mukteswara Swamy mandiram because of the duel presence of Lord Shiva or the Mukteshwara and the other is the Lord Yama or Kaleshwar. Kaleshwaram is one of the places of the three Shiva temples mentioned in Trilinga Desham (Land of Three Lingams), another name for Telugu speaking region, the Andhra Pradesh, the other two being Draksharamam and Srishailam. This place is also called Dakshina Triveni Sangamam, as two rivers meet here along with a third, the illusionary flow of Antarvaahini. It is said that a long time back one of the Vaishyas had performed an abhisheka to Kaleshwara Mukteswara with hundreds of milk pots and the milk evolved at the sangamam of Godavari and Pranahita. Hence the name Dakshina Gangotri (the other being Allahabad, or Prayaga).
Special Cover on Temple dedicated to Lord Rama – 16th July 2015.
A special cover on Lord Rama temple was released at Bhadrachalam on 16th July 2015. (Special Cover approval no. AP/1/2015)
Lord Sree Sita Ramachandra Swamy Temple in Bhadrachalam is a Hindu temple of Lord Rama located Khammam district of Telangana State. The area is called as Bhadrachalam and it is an important Hindu pilgrimage town, situated on the banks of Godavari River. The town has a documented history of Lord Sri Rama temple constructed circa 17th Century CE by Kancherla Gopanna (nearly 370 years ago). Bhadrachalam and Vijayanagara are sites said to have been closely associated with the Ramayana. Rama, Sita and Lakshmana are said to have stayed at Parnasala, 35 km away from Bhadrachalam. Rama is said to have crossed the river Godavari on his way to Sri Lanka to rescue Sita, at the spot where the Bhadrachalam temple stands, on the northern bank of the river.
Special Cover on Lord Sri Laxmi Narasimha Swamy Devasthanam, Dharmapuri – 19th July 2015.
A special cover on Lord Sri Laxmi Narasimha Swamy Devasthanam, Dharmapuri was released at Dharmapuri on 19th July 2015 (Special Cover approval no. AP/22/2015).
Dharmapuri is a village and Mandal headquarters in the Karimnagar district of Telangana. This village earned spiritual importance because of the presence of the shrine, which is dedicated to the Lord Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. The temple has two very different idols of the lord Narasimha Swamy. The oldest of these idols is called "pata Narasimha Swamy" which means the older Narasimha Swamy and the temple that was established later is called "kotha Narasimha Swamy" which means the new one. The Dharmapuri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple is one of the most important settlements of Vedic Brahmins in the state. Every year in the months of March and April, devotees come together to celebrate the famous Dharmapuri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Aalaya Jatara. The town, in the month of December, gets busy for the celebration of Mokshada Ekadashi.
Special Cover on Papikondalu – 21st July 2015.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Shri Chandra Babu Naidu released a special cover on Papikondalu mountain range at Narsapuram, West Godavari on 21st July 2015 in presence of Deputy Chief Minister Shri N. Chinarajappa, Endowment Minister Shri Manikyala Rao and West Godavari District Collector K Bhaskar (Special Cover approval no. AP/21/2015)
“Papi kondalu” or the “Papi Hills” are series of mountain range that are located in Rajahmundry in West Godavari District of Andhra Pradesh. Papikondalu Mountain range runs along River Godavari, one of the largest and vivacious rivers in India. The mighty river narrowing and passing with twists and turns along the Papi Hills is every visitor’s delight. Papikondalu mountain range spreads over a vast area, covering about three districts of East Godavari, West Godavari and Khammam Districts. To get the real essence of Papikondalu, one has to go for the boat journey either from Rajahmundry or Bhadrachalam. There are small motor boats with capacity of five including the rider or River Streamers carrying about fifty to sixty people.
Special Cover on Kaleshwara Muktheshwara Swamy Temple, Kaleshwaram – 22nd July 2015.
A special cover on Kaleshwara Muktheshwara Swamy Temple, Kaleshwaram was released on 16th July 2015 at Mahadevapur (Special Cover approval no. AP/23/2015).
Kaleshwaram is a village in Mahadevapur Mandal in Karimnagar district of Telangana State. The Mukteshwara Swamy Temple is uniquely significant because of the two Shiva Lingas found on a single pedestal. They are named Lord Shiva and Lord Yama; collectively known as Kaleshwara Mukteswara Swamy. This place is also called Dakshina Triveni Sangamam, as two rivers Godavari and Pranahitha meet here along with a third, the illusionary flow of Antarvaahini. Kaleshwaram is Trilinga Kshethram (Land of Three Lingams) and has four sides, four Nandi Vahanam and four Rajagopuram (North, East, West & South).
Special Cover on Coal Mines, Godavarikhani – 23rd July 2015.
A Special cover was released on Coal mines of Godavarikhani of Telangana State on 23rd July 2015 at Godavarikhani (Special Cover approval no. AP/24/2015).
Coal is the world’s most abundant, safe, secure, clean and cost effective fossil fuel. The origins of the Singareni Coal Mines can be traced to 1871 with the discovery of Coal near the village of Yellandu in Khammam District by Dr. King of the Geological Survey of India. Godavarikhani is a town in Karimnagar district of Telangana State. It is located on the banks of Godavari River and hence, the name Godavari Khani (Khani=mines). This city is popular for its coal mines, controlled mostly by The Singareni Collieries Company Limited.
Special Cover on Eturnagaram Wildlife Sanctuary - 24th July 2015.
A special cover on Eturnagaram Wildlife Sanctuary was released on 24th July 2015 at Eturnagaram (Special Cover approval no. AP/25/2015).
Eturnagaram Wildlife Sanctuary is a wildlife sanctuary located in Eturnagaram village in Warangal district in Telangana. It is located 250 km away from Hyderabad. The sanctuary is located near the Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Telangana border. It is one of the oldest sanctuaries of Telangana. In the year 1952 on 30 January the erstwhile Hyderabad Government because of its rich bio-diversity declared it as a sanctuary. The land is undulating from steep slopes to gentle slopes from west to east. Three-quarters of the area consist of a plain while the rest is hilly with many streams and springs. Godavari river passes through the sanctuary. The vegetation here is tropical dry deciduous with teak and other trees of good quality standing 60 ft and above.
The sanctuary has southern tropical dry deciduous type of teak and its associates like thiruman, maddi, and bamboo, madhuca, terminalia, pterocarpus. A perennial water source called "Dayyam Vagu", divides the sanctuary into almost two halves. It is home to Tiger, Leopard, Gaur, Sambar, Cheetal, Wolf, Dholes, Golden jackals, Sloth bear, Chousingha, Blackbuck, Nilgai, Sambar, Spotted deer, Chinkara, Indian giant squirrels and many kinds of birds. Reptiles like Crocodile, Python, Cobra, Kraite, Star.
Covers Courtesy: Sreejesh Krishnan, Thiruvananthapuram
Commemorative Stamp on Samrat Ashoka – 24th August 2015.
Ashoka Maurya, commonly known as Ashoka or Ashoka the Great, was an emperor of the Maurya Dynasty who ruled almost the entire Indian subcontinent from circa 269 BCE to 232 BCE. Ashoka was born to the Mauryan emperor Bindusara and Dharmā (or Dharmmā). He was the grandson of Chandragupta Maurya, founder of Mauryan dynasty. The Avadana texts mention that his mother was queen Subhadrangī. According to Ashokavadana, she was the daughter of a Brahmin from the city of Champa. One of India's greatest emperors, Ashoka reigned over a realm that stretched from the Hindu Kush Mountains in the west to Bengal in the East and covered the entire Indian subcontinent except parts of present-day Tamil Nadu and Kerala. The empire's capital was Pataliputra (in Magadha, present-day Bihar), with provincial capitals at Taxila and Ujjain.
In about 260 BCE Ashoka waged a bitterly destructive war against the state of Kalinga (modern Odisha). He conquered Kalinga, which none of his ancestors had done. He embraced Buddhism after witnessing the mass deaths of the Kalinga War, which he himself had waged out of a desire for conquest. "Ashoka reflected on the war in Kalinga, which reportedly had resulted in more than 100,000 deaths and 150,000 deportations." Ashoka ruled for an estimated forty years. Ashoka converted gradually to Buddhism beginning about 263 BCE. He was later dedicated to the propagation of Buddhism across Asia, and established monuments marking several significant sites in the life of Gautama Buddha. Ashoka is now remembered as a philanthropic administrator.
The Ashoka Chakra (the wheel of Ashoka) was built by Ashoka during his reign. Chakra is a Sanskrit word which also means "cycle" or "self-repeating process". The process it signifies is the cycle of time- as in how the world changes with time. The Ashoka Chakra is a depiction of the Dharmachakra (the Wheel of Dharma). The wheel has 24 spokes which represent the 12 Laws of Dependent Origination and the 12 Laws of Dependent Termination. The Ashoka Chakra has been widely inscribed on many relics of the Mauryan Emperor, most prominent among which is the Lion Capital of Sarnath and The Ashoka Pillar.
The Lion capital of Ashoka is a sculpture of four lions standing back to back. It was originally placed atop the Ashoka pillar at Sarnath, now in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The pillar, sometimes called the Ashoka Column is still in its original location, but the Lion Capital is now in the Sarnath Museum. This Lion Capital of Ashoka from Sarnath has been adopted as the National Emblem of India and the wheel "Ashoka Chakra" from its base was placed onto the center of the National Flag of India.
Union Minister for Communications and IT Ravi Shankar Prasad released commemorative stamp on Samrat Ashok at a function held at Vidyapati Bhavan in Patna on 24th August 2015. BJP leaders Shri Sushil Kumar Modi, Shri Nand Kishore Yadav and Shri Mangal Pandey were also present on the occasion.
Cover Courtesy: Lalit K Mishra, Patna
Special Cover on 100 years of Nagari Pracharini Sabha, Deoria – 21st August 2015.
The Hindi-Nagari movement in the sense of organized groups seeking change through political action began in the late 1860s and continued with varying intensity well into the twentieth century. The Nagari Pracharini Sabha (Society for Promotion of Nagari) also known as Kashi Nagari Pracharini Sabha was founded in 1893 at the Queen's College, Varanasi for the promotion of the Devanagari script. The Sabha provided a body of men emotionally and intellectually devoted to the growth of their chosen language and script, and effectively channeled resources for a wide variety of political and cultural purposes. The Nagari Pracharini Sabha (NPS) not only spearheaded the agitation which led to the resolution of 1900 but also conducted a search for old Hindi manuscripts, founded a library, published numerous Hindi works including school texts, awarded prizes for good Nagari handwriting and good Hindi literature, and published a scholarly journal in Hindi. The Nagari Pracharini Sabha also had much to do with the founding of the Hindi Sahitya Sammelan (Society for Hindi Literature) of Allahabad in 1910, which soon became the premier organization for the promotion of Hindi and Nagari on the national level. Dictionaries are among the many scholarly publications by the Sabha. The Hindi Sabda-sangra by Syamasundara Dasa was first published 1916-1928, with a new edition published 1965-1975.
Nagari Pracharini Sabha was established in Deoria on 1st January 1915 with the inspiration of Shri Kunj Bihari Chaturvedi, Babu Amir Singh and Shri Ram Narain Mishra and other distinguished Hindi lovers. To commemorate 100 years of establishment of Nagari Pracharini Sabha, Deoria, as special cover was released by Smt. Anita Shrivastava, District Magistrate of Deoria and Subedar Sinh, Superintendent of Post Offices, Deoria on 21st August 2015 at Deoria (Special cover approval no. UP/13/2015). The special cover and cancellation has been designed by Rtn. Himanshu Kumar Singh, Philatelist of Deoria.
Please contact Shri Himanshu Singh, Deoria, Email: email@example.com, (M) +919450676342 for requirement of special covers.
Cover Courtesy: Sandeep Chaurasia, Gorakhpur
Exhibition on Freedom fighters of India and Mahatma Gandhi through Postage Stamps and First Day Covers – 14th – 16th August 2015.
On the occasion of 68th Independence Day of India, an Exhibition on Freedom fighters of India and Mahatma Gandhi through Postage Stamps and First Day Covers was organized by Shri Ramakant Dave, Philatelist of Vadodara from 14th – 16th August 2015 at Akruti Art Gallery, Nr. Kirti Mandir, Opp. S. S. G. Hospital, Vadodara. The exhibition was inaugurated by Shri E. Radhakrishna IPS, Commissioner of Police, Vadodara.
Philatelic Bureau, Vadodara has opened counter at the exhibition and ‘My Stamp’ facility was also made available at the venue.
Special Cover on Madhubani Painting – 17th August 2015.
Madhubani painting or Mithila painting is a style of Hindu Painting, practiced in the Mithila region. Initially, the womenfolk of the village drew the paintings on the walls of their home, as an illustration of their thoughts, hopes and dreams. Painting is done with fingers, twigs, brushes, nib-pens, and matchsticks, using natural dyes and pigments, and is characterized by eye-catching geometrical patterns. There are paintings for each occasion and festival such as birth, marriage, Holi, Surya Shasti, kali puja, Upanayanam, Durga Puja etc. The local mythologies suggest that Madhubani painting was initiated at the behest of King Janak of Mithila, when he commissioned local artists to paint murals in his palace in preparation for the marriage of his daughter Sita to Lord Rama.
Mithila painting, as a domestic ritual activity, was unknown to the outside world until the massive Bihar earthquake of 1934. House walls had tumbled down, and the British colonial officer in Madhubani District, William G. Archer, inspecting the damage "discovered" the paintings on the newly exposed interior walls of homes. Archer - later to become the South Asia Curator at London's Victoria and Albert Museum - was stunned by the beauty of the paintings and similarities to the work of modern Western artists like Klee, Miro, and Picasso. During the 1930s he took black and white photos of some of these paintings. In 1949 in an article in the Indian art journal, Marg, he brought the wall paintings to public attention. Slowly and gradually, the Madhubani painting of India crossed the traditional boundaries and started reaching connoisseurs of art, both at the national as well as the international level.
A special cover was released on 17th August 2015, ‘Madhubani Paintings’ at Sitamarhi, Bihar (Special Cover approval no. BH/08/AUG/2015). The Cover depicts image of ‘Sita Swayamvar” (marriage of Sita with Lord Ram) in Madhubani style of paintings. The top and bottom border of the cover is also depicted as Madhubani Paintings border. The cancellation depicts the images of Lord Ram and Sita.
Courtesy: Lalit K. Mishra, Patna
Special Cover on 125th Birth Anniversary of Shri V. Seshasayee - 16th August 2015.
Shri V. Seshasayee was an industrialist and the founder of the Seshasayee Group. He founded Mettur Chemicals (1936-41), Fertilizers and Chemicals Travancore (1944-47), Aluminium Industries, Kundara (1950) and Travancore-Cochin Chemicals. He was instrumental in setting up the first A.C. power supply system in Tamil Nadu and electrification of Tiruchi and Srirangam in late 1920s. The Seshasayee Institute of Technology was founded by Shri Seshasayee in 1952 was the first technical institution in the then composite Tiruchi district. He died in 1958.
The 125th birth anniversary of Shri V. Seshasayee, founder of the Seshasayee Institute of Technology (SIT), Tiruchi was celebrated at SIT Campus, Ariyamangalam,Tiruchirappalli on 16th August 2015. On the occasion a special cover was released in the memory of the late Seshasayee by Shri J. T. Venkateswarlu, Postmaster General, Central Region, Tiruchirappalli at the 125th birth anniversary celebration function held on 16th August 2015.
Special Cover on the occasion Bi-Centenary Birth Celebration of St. Don Bosco – 16th August 2015.
St. John Bosco (b. 16 August 1815 – d. 31 January 1888), popularly known as Don Bosco, was an Italian Roman Catholic priest of the Latin Church, educator and writer of the 19th century. While working in Turin, where the population suffered many of the effects of industrialization and urbanization, he dedicated his life to the betterment and education of street children, juvenile delinquents, and other disadvantaged youth. He developed teaching methods based on love rather than punishment, a method that became known as the Salesian Preventive System. A follower of the spirituality and philosophy of Saint Francis de Sales, Bosco dedicated his works to him when he founded the Salesians of Don Bosco, based in Turin. Together with Maria Domenica Mazzarello, he founded the Institute of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians, a religious congregation of nuns dedicated to the care and education of poor girls. In 1876 Bosco founded a movement of laity, the Association of Salesian Cooperators, with the same educational mission to the poor. Don Bosco established a network of organizations and centres to carry on his work. Following his beatification in 1929, he was canonized as a saint in the Roman Catholic Church by Pope Pius XI in 1934.
The 200th birth anniversary of St Don Bosco was celebrated at the Ravindra Bhavan, Margao on 16th August 2015 with fervour and joy. To celebrate the occasion, the Don Bosco community had organized the programme. A special cover was released on the occasion at the hands of Chief Minister of Goa Shri Laxmikant Parsekar by Postmaster General, Goa Region Shri Vinod kumar Verma (Special Cover approval no. MH/25/2015). Fr Ian Figuerado, provincial of Panjim and Konkan Region, Fr Savio Gomes, principal of Don Bosco College, Panjim; Sister Agatha, Dias vice-Province and Dias vice-Province were also present at the celebration.
Courtesy: Prasad Barde, Goa
Set of 48 Picture Postcards released by North Karnataka Postal Region - 15th August 2015.
Postcrossing Team, North Karnataka Postal Region has released a set of 48 picture postcards titled ‘Incredible India’ on 15th August 2015. The set is available in an attractive box and is priced Rs. 150 per set. This is 10th set of picture postcards issued by North Karnataka Postal Region. After its launch 10 sets of picture postcards were given away free of cost to first 10 persons who sent request on Facebook page of Postcrossing India.
On the address side of picture postcards text ‘IN’ and 6 boxes has been provided for the use of Postcrossing (a postcard exchange project) members to mention the POSTCARD ID.
Contact for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
View full set of 48 Picture Postcards below:
Courtesy: Postcrossing India
Special Cover on birth centenary of eminent philatelist Late Col. L. G. Shenoy – 11th August 2015.
Col. Lakshman Giri Shenoy (b. August 11, 1915, - d. June 19, 1997) was born as the second son of Giri Shenoy and Saraswathi Bai. He passed B.A (English) from the Maharajah's College, Ernakulam. His early career was as editor of English newspapers 'Hyderabad Herald' and 'Modern Times'. The powerful editorials which he wrote those days on the Freedom struggle and many other subjects prove his journalistic abilities. He joined British Indian Army during the Second World War as a second lieutenant in 1943. As a military officer, he travelled all over India. He served the army, which later became the Indian Army, for 24 years, retiring in 1968 as Colonel. After retirement, he worked in Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd., Bangalore in higher management cadre. He selected Bangalore as his retirement abode in 1968 and settled there and spent his remaining life for the cause of philately.
Col. Shenoy was founder member of Karnataka Philatelic Society which was founded in 1976 and remained President of the society for four years. He was also a President of Philatelic Congress of India during 1993-95 and member of jury at State, National and International Philatelic Exhibitions. Col. L. G. Shenoy was specialized in the history of Travancore, Cochin, Puddukottai and Mysore Princely States of India. His knowledge of District Dak, Travelling Post Offices, (TPO) of India, Early India Cancellations and Sea Post Offices were outstanding. He also collected stamps and postal stationery on the subject ‘Coconut Tree’. Being a Postal Historian, he maintained a superb library which housed Postal History of C.E.F., I.E.F., WWI, WWII, Censorship Postmarks etc. Realising the need of Indian Philatelic Magazine with an emphasis on the Postal History, he embarked upon publishing ‘IND DAK’ on 1st January 1977. ‘IND DAK’ monthly was published without a break for 21 years till his death in June 1997. He promoted youth philately movement in India and published ‘MAYUR’ once in three months. He conducted awareness classes in Bangalore schools. His scholarly articles on Postal History of India and the Promotion of Youth Philately are the testimony of his great stature in the world of Philately. He passed away on 19th June 1997.
To mark the birth centenary of eminent philatelist Col. L. G. Shenoy a special cover was released by Karnataka Postal Circle at Bangalore with the support of Karnataka Philatelic Society and local philatelists Shri M.S. Ramu (Inddak), Shri Sushil Mehra, Shri Jagannath Mani and Shri Naveein who sponsored the special cover. (Special Cover approval no. KTK/49/2015)
Courtesy: Suresh Rao, Bengaluru
Special Cover on Semiquincentennial year of Danapur Cantonment – 5th August 2015.
Danapur Cantonment or Danapur Cantt established on 5th August 1765, is located on the outskirts of Patna is the second oldest cantonment in the country after Barrackpur Cantonment, West Bengal. Initially, it was set up at Bankipore which fell under the jurisdiction of Patna City. The cantonment was, however, set up in Danapur area, then known as Dinapore, way back in 1766-67. Dinapore was a staging post on the route up the Ganges plain inland from Calcutta towards Delhi, and an important garrison supporting East India Company rule in the sub-continent.
Danapur Cantonment is one of the oldest European cantonments in the region. It was the only white cantonment of the East India Company between at one point of time. It was the largest military cantonment in Bengal, with accommodation for two batteries of artillery, a European and a native infantry regiment. Danapur Cantonment played a big role in the freedom struggle of 1857, as on 25th July 1857 sepoys of the Danapur Cantonment revolted the Britishers. According to sources, Mangal Pandey, a hero of 1857 mutiny, was a frequent visitor to Danapur cantonment. During British period, it was known as 'Little England' for its cleanliness and greenery. The cantonment is also known for two historic churches, St Luke and St Stephen's, built in 18th century.
Presently Danapur is the regimental centre of Bihar Regiment (BRC). It was Lt-Colonel R C Muller, who set up the Bihar Regimental Centre at Agra in 1945. But the regimental centre moved from Agra to Ranchi under his command in April 1946. Subsequently, it again moved to Gaya from where it finally shifted to Danapur in March 1959. In June-July Danapur Cantonment area becomes a bird sanctuary as a large number of migratory birds arrive here.
On the occasion of semiquincentennial (250th anniversary) celebrations of the cantonment a special cover was released on 5th August 2015 at Patna. The Cancellation depicts the celebration logo. The logo, in the pictorial region, bears a tree, D for Danapur, C for Cantonments and B for Board. It also includes ‘Danapur Cantonments Board’ and ‘For Better Life Aways’.
Note: Image of Special Cover is awaited.
Courtesy: Lalit K. Mishra, Patna